Home > Blog > Medical & Veterinary Equipment Blog > Marijuana Poisoning Filling up Veterinary Tables

Marijuana Poisoning Filling up Veterinary Tables

by | Jun 25, 2019 | Medical & Veterinary Equipment Blog, Veterinary Blog

An unintended consequence of legalizing marijuana is inadvertent pet poisonings, resulting in veterinary tables handling everything from mild symptoms to severe cases and even death of a pet from ingesting an edible or other marijuana product. In some cases, well-meaning pet owners give it to them, but in most cases, the animal finds it on their own.

Marijuana toxicity is a problem because dogs do not know what is going on and tend to fight the psychotropic effects and become disoriented to the point they can get hurt. Most trips to the clinic’s veterinary tables are because of these injuries, as there is no antidote for the marijuana poisoning itself. As a veterinarian, you need to be prepared for the difference between a disoriented dog and a typical patient. If you need to perform surgery, the decision needs to be made as to whether they can safely undergo anesthesia.

Raising awareness through educating the pet owners who come to you for veterinary services about marijuana toxicity and how to avoid their pet ingesting a product is the best way to avoid having to deal with a sick or injured dog on your veterinary tables.

If your veterinary tables need upgrading so that you can be in the best position to care for pet poisonings, turn to us at Georgian Anesthesia and Medical Corp. We offer a wide variety of veterinary tables, and our knowledgeable staff is happy to help you select the right type for your veterinary clinic. Contact us today with any questions you may have.