New quality enhanced composition
CARBO2LIME carbon dioxide absorbent is a granular soda lime absorbent for the efficient removal of carbon dioxide from closed and semi-closed patient breathing circuits. CARBO2LIME is a quality compound which contains no postassium hydroxide (KOH). It is formed by proportionately mixing calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) with a small amount of sodium hydroxide (NaOH).
Available in three convenient package sizes, CARBO2LIME is supplied as hard, irregularly shaped granules which have been processed to reduce dust formation from friction. Significant process improvements have resulted in enhancements in moisture content (12-19%), hardness, and porosity generation. As a result, CARBO2LIME delivers dependable, efficient CO2 absorption.
Allied’s CARBO2LIME meets or exceeds the United States Pharmacopoeia – National Formulary specifications for soda lime and is manufactured in accordance with the Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), and ISO 9002 guidelines.
- No KOH – Minimum anesthetic agent degradation (e.g., Sevoflurane to Compound A and other toxic products) compared to other brands containing potassium hydroxide.
- Low Dust – Minimum dust levels with the benefits of high surface area and graded particle size.
- Low risk of carbon monoxide formation due to good resistance of dry gas desiccation.
- Low Bulk Density – Less weight required to fill absorber and, therefore, less waste when refilling frequently (e.g., daily) prior to full exhaustion.
- Low odor due to reliable control of indicator dye concentration. Dye overdosing causes amines to be released; dye underclosing causes poor/no color change.
- Available in pre-packaged cartridges, bags for canister refill, and 5-gallon pails.
- 37 lbs ; 5 gallon bucket
Packaged for Flexibility
Non-hygroscopic CARBO2LIME is available in three convenient packages to meet the needs and applications of today’s medical professional.
Pre-Packaged Cartridge: Sealed in an airtight safety wrapper, the disposable, pre-packaged cartridge eliminates measuring, filling and spilling. The high clarity styrene polymer body inserts smoothly into Draeger and Ohmeda anesthesia machines.
Bag: Heat-sealed bag is designed for convenience. The airtight plastic- and foil-lined bag contains a sufficient amount of CARBO2LIME to fill a standard 1350 gram absorber canister.
Pail: An economical option, the rugged five-gallon plastic pail is designed for pouring applications
Color Indicator and Regeneration
Medical grade CARBO2LIME contains a small amount of ethyl violet, which acts as a color indicator when the absorbent is nearing exhaustion. CARBO2LIME color is white to off-white. As CO2 is absorbed, it reacts with the ethyl violet, which causes the granules to distinctively change to purple. The purple color will intensify to indicate exhaustion of the soda lime. When the deep purple color has penetrated to half the depth of the absorber, the used material should be discarded.
If exhausted self-indicating CARBO2LIME is left to stand, its color will slowly change back to white, due mainly to a small quantity of unreacted hydroxide in the interior of the granules which slowly react with the sodium carbonate on the surface. CARBO2LIME, in this apparently regenerated condition, should never be used again as it will become exhausted and its color will change again almost immediately. Therefore it is essential to empty canisters immediately after use.